Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband had a car accident and he is Egyptian, he has

Customer Question

Hi, my husband had a car accident and he is Egyptian, he has 2 operation scars at each side, just in from his groin, this was about 2 years ago and now when he has sex he gets sore there and his balls especially his left one. Can you give me any advise, he has been to a doctor in Egypt but they don't seem to know
A concerned wife
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
What operations were done to cause the scars on each side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know, he can't tell me in english, I will try and ask him again

The key issue in knowing the specific operations is to know what deep structures could potentially be affected by the healing and/or scarring processes.

The most common reasons for pain in the skin or deep skin of a scar is from inflammation or infection. However, if the skin were inflamed or infected, there would typically be evidence of that on examination, and his doctor apparently did not find any evidence of inflammation or infection of the skin.

It is also possible to get inflammation or infection affecting deeper structures, if the operation involved the deeper tissues in the body, and these structures may not have visible findings on exam. If there were a deep infection, there would usually be other symptoms than just the pain, such as fever, so infection would not be likely, but inflammation of deeper structures is still a possibility.

Another reason for knowing the specific operations is that if an operation entered the abdominal/pelvic category, then it is also possible that the pain could be related to excessive scar tissue forming between organs in the abdominal/pelvic category, which are called adhesions. The various organs in the abdominal cavity can typically slide on one another, but when there are adhesions, they organs will instead pull on each other, which can cause pain.

Lastly, it is possible that the pain is related to pressure on the local nerves, and this can be related to swelling from inflammation or scarring placing pressure on the nerve. It is also possible to develop pressure on the nerve from surgery involving the groin. This would be the most likely cause of the pain in the testicle, since the operations apparently did not involve the scrotum.

If it has not yet been tried, it would be reasonable to try a course of an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to use medicine that have been shown to relieve pain related to pressure on nerves, and these medicines are used for pain in multiple locations around the body. The most commonly used medicines are certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, and certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline or duloxetine, each of which work by suppressing the firing of the irritated nerve that is causing the pain message.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that, I think tha second last paragraph is the most likely one. when I talk to him next, I will try and see what the actual operations were.

Very good.