Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My GP prescribed anti depressants as I was feeling 'low' and

My GP prescribed anti depressants as I was feeling 'low' and I started to take the tablets hoping to get some relief from my 'depression' as she insisted it was thatbcausing me to feel low.
She gave me another appointment in a months time - and she went on holiday for a month.
The tablets didn't make the slightest difference in fact I felt worse
when I went to see her on her return - her only decision was to 'come off' of the anti depressants immediately.
This has worsened my health I hear constant 'music' that will not go away - what can I do I feel I am going mad?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Which antideressant and dose was prescribed?
Are you taking any other medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

fexofenadine hydrochloride 120mg tablets

other medications Paracetamol (as necessary

Simvastatin 40mg tablets

Ramipril 2.5mg

Setraline 50mg tablets

Cetririzine 10 mg tablets

The last two drugs are for 'hay fever'

Did you mean to say that the sertraline was the antidepressant that has been stopped and the fexofenadine and cetirizine are the two drugs still being taken for hay fever?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fexophenadine was the antidepressant drug - the other two Sertraline and Citrizine are for hay fever treatment

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fexofenadine was the antidepressant that 'caused 'my problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you please give ne an answer/advice please?

It is still confusing, so I found some patient drug information sheets to explain what I mean.

The fexofenadine is an antihistamine that is used for hay fever, not an antidepressant.

See http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/fexofenadine-tablets-telfast.

The sertraline is an SSRI antidepressant.

See http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/sertraline-lustral

Are you certain that it is the fexofenadine that caused the side effects?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

My GP gave me to understand this was an anti depressant drug -not mentioning anything to do with my other medication.

I have explained my symptoms relating to fexofenadine and she immediately said 'Stop taking the anti depressants!' - her exact words.

I , having read your initial reply looked again at the 'offending tablets and you are quite right the literature states it is an antihistomine - why then

did I have these sympyoms? I have taken the other 'hay fever' tablets for 4 years now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I may have caused the confusion rather I apologise.

I did not mention the full name on the box of tablets thinking it was a 'brand'name - Telfast ? does that help or change things?

Any drug can have side effects, but I wanted to be certain that I was addressing the correct medicine. Telfast is a brand name for the fexofenadine.

Since the fexofenadine is the drug that caused the side effect, part of the issue may have been the fexofenadine, but part of the issue may also be that you would have been taking two antihistamines, since you were also taking the cetirizine.

If simply stopping the fexofenadine is not sufficient to ease the side effect, the next step that I would consider would be to stop all antihistamines and use alternative treatment for the hay fever. The type of medicine that would usually be used when antihistamines are stopped would be a steroid nasal spray. There are several of these that are available, including Nasacort and Flonase.

So, in this situation, since stopping the fexofenadine was not sufficient, it would be reasonable to also stop the cetirizine and instead use a steroid nasal spray for the hay fever.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.