Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I was hit very hard on the thigh whilst playing football last

Customer Question

I was hit very hard on the thigh whilst playing football last Thursday, I was instantly in a lot of pain, I applied RICE and hoped that resting it for a few days would make it better, unfortunately over a week later it's still swollen and when I try to bend or move my leg I'm in a lot of pain in my knee my thigh and my hip any advice would be gratefully received thanks
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
I am going to assist you with your question.
Such symptoms could occur with thigh strain or quadriceps strain ,which is a tear in one of the quadriceps muscles.
A thigh strains can be graded 1 to 3 depending on how bad the injury is with a grade 1 being mild and a grade 3 involving a complete or near complete tear of the muscle.
If it was a muscle pull or nerve compression, it would have got better in one week.
As pain in still severe in nature and you have thigh swelling, so it should not be left ignored.
If you do not you may be permanently injured or weakened. Please get it clinically evaluated.
Your doctor would advise for X-ray and MRI scan for precise diagnosis.
You would need physical therapy.
Also strong anti-inflammatory and corticosteroid pills, would be prescribed.
I would recommend that you should not delay and visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.