Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have osteoporosis and have been prescribed bon viva, protelos

I have osteoporosis and have been prescribed bon viva, protelos and recently prolia. Having taken prolia I got cellulitis soon after which I believe can happen as a side effect of prolia. I am now afraid to have next injection of prolia. I am 60 years old. What do you recommend I should do? Thanks Ellen
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Yes, 0.4 percent of patients who are given Prolia may suffer from cellulitis or erysipelas.

There is a chance that you might get cellulitis again from the injection as well. If the Prolia worked for you as far as your osteoporosis is concerned then the risk of cellulitis is out weighed by its benefits and you can actually opt to get the injection again, keeping cellulitis as a possible side effect in mind. But if the prolia did not have any benefit, then I would suggest that you ask your doctor to put you on Alendronate or Alendronic acid, 10 mg daily or 70 mg weekly. It is also a bisphosphonate and has good results in both treatment and prophylaxis of osteoporosis in women.

I also suggest that you visit a nutritionist to chalk out a diet plan in which calcium is in abundance. Your doctor should also have you on vitamin D supplement and calcium supplement.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best.