Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a blackout and collapsed while shopping on the 7th this

I had a blackout and collapsed while shopping on the 7th this month. I was taken to hospital and they ruled out any possibility of heart related problems. I have still not recovered. I keep getting episodes of dizziness and burning sensation from the neck to my forehead, and nauseous. I also experience blurred vision every day which lasts about 2 hours. My appointment with ENT is on the 15th July. I have never fainted before and this is worrying me. I also have a holiday abroad which includes a 4 hour flight, booked for the 29th of this month. I am concerned if I can go. I am a female 70 years old. Please help me.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Heart problems are the most serious conditions that can cause the symptoms you were having and it is good news that they have been ruled out.
However, the possibility of carotid artery stenosis/ narrowing should be ruled out as well, a doppler ultrasound of the carotids is in order. I would suggest that before you proceed on your vacation, this should be ruled out. The fact that your Doctor has referred you to an ENT signifies that either carotid artery problems were ruled out with heart problems or he thinks that your dizziness is due to an ear condition like Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (an inner ear condition). If the medication is not helping, then before you go on your holiday, I would suggest you have this evaluated thoroughly and obtain a clear bill of health from your doctor's office to avoid any untoward events while on holiday. Otherwise, you will not be at ease while on holiday.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any queries about this.
Best.