Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am experiencing severe pain and reduced movements in right

Customer Question

I am experiencing severe pain and reduced movements in right shoulder. Onset 5 days ago. Taking prescribed Zap a in an Nap role but only takes the edge off it. Swelling on frontal aspect of shoulder is tender on touch. No history of injury but use a key board all day and pulled a trolley suitcase across London for 40 minutes last week.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The symptoms you mention - swelling, pain and tenderness are seen in rotator cuff injuries, the most common form of soft tissue (ligament, tendon and muscle) injury seen in the shoulder joint. The fact that you can move your shoulder somewhat rules out dislocation and since there is no history of trauma, a shoulder dislocation is unlikely.
However, a rotator cuff injury can present without history of noticeable trauma, the pulling of a suitcase is enough to incite a ligamentous injury in an otherwise weak shoulder.
For now, I advise that you start on Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day with Ibuprofen liquigel massage thrice or four times a day. This should be examined preferably in the ER or an Urgent Care, an x ray should be done and an MRI scheduled. The examination can pin point which muscle, tendon or ligament is injured and which movements should be avoided.
Your shoulder should be put in a polysling and physiotherapy should be started to avoid a frozen shoulder. An Orthopedic consultation should be scheduled form the ER, to get an early appointment.
For effective pain relief - a cortisone shot in the shoulder joint is given so that physiotherapy which is extremely important for recovery can be done without pain.
The MRI will dictate the treatment options.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more queries.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.