Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Painful right shoulder with limited range of movement. Swelling,

Painful right shoulder with limited range of movement. Swelling, hard frontal aspect of shoulder. Saw chiropractor who used a device which made a loud click and hurt a lot. He mentioned that he managed to get it 90% back. Pain improved for a few hours but has returned with a vengeance. Taking pain relief and antinflammatories. Do you think this is a subluxation and do I need an X-ray? Onset 5 days ago. No history of injury.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

I will be helping you out with your queries.

You certainly do need an x ray to see if your shoulder is dislocated or not and to also rule out a fracture in any of the bones around the shoulder.

A rotator cuff injury is also a possibility. So you need to go to the A&E to get the x ray done.

For the pain you can try taking ibuprofen 400 to 800 mg three times daily after meals or with milk to see if that helps with your pain.

If this does not help you will most likely require stronger prescription pain medications from the emergency.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you but if it were fractured would there not be a history of injury?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

You are right, a fracture is unlikely but a pathological fracture can happen even without an injury. By pathological fracture I mean the bone has become so weak that it fractures without any apparent injury (the most common cause of a weak bone is osteoporosis which is something very common in ladies of your age group) which in your case is unlikely, although still a possibility. So I just mentioned it as a possibility but I agree that would be unlikely in your case. This session is open for any number of further questions. Rate me only when you are done asking. Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The chiropractor used a device which he placed over the hard swelling and advised me that he had achieved 90% success with it go back in a couple of days. This procedure proved to be extremely painful but brought relief for several hours, only to kick back in later in the day. What was this device intended for. Sorry Our did not ask him at the time but I was very disoriented due to medication and very little sleep for 5 nights?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

The chiropractor used a device which he placed over the hard swelling and advised me that he had achieved 90% success with it go back in a couple of days. This procedure proved to be extremely painful but brought relief for several hours, only to kick back in later in the day. What was this device intended for. Sorry Our did not ask him at the time but I was very disoriented due to medication and very little sleep for 5 nights?

Most likely from what you are mentioning your shoulder was dislocated and the shoulder was replaced in the joint which caused relief of pain. Shoulder dislocations can very commonly recur, which is what has most likely happened in your case. Although other causes must also be rule out like I mentioned because without an examination and x ray we cannot be dead sure. Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done asking. Kind regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your assistance. You have clarified the current situation.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.
Wish you all the best.
Please do follow up with me on this.
You can request my services by clicking on the link that appears below.
Please mention FOR DR SHAHZAD ONLY when requesting me so that other experts do not jump in.