Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can you tell me of possible side effects from taking fexofenadine

Can you tell me of possible side effects from taking fexofenadine hydrochloride please?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.

The most common side effects are vomiting, headache, cough, diarrhea, congestion, and back pain. Less common side effects include fever, pelvic cramps, muscle pain, drowsiness, insomnia, and nervousness.

Unlike true antidepressants, such as sertraline, there are no adverse effects to suddenly stopping the fexofenadine, so it would be fine to simply stop the drug when side effects occur. The only concern when stopping the fexofenadine is that the symptoms that were being treated with the fexofenadine may recur, but that would be true when stopping any medicine..

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Love,

The gp who prescribed the medication was 'standing in' for my own GP and decided, in her opinion, that fexofenadine was the appropriate drug

to take - but as my initial query that you answered, my reactions to this drug have been awful, lack of sleep, hearing constant music in my head

(which she did say was possible) - it's enough to drive one mad.

Sorry, but I just want to be as normal as possible again.

Yes, I remember our discussion, which is why I did not repeat the clarification of using fexofenadine as an antidepressant.

The fexofenadine is not specifically reported to cause hearing music in the head, but this is a symptom that can occur with nervousness, which is reported from the fexofenadine, as noted above.

When side effects occurred to fexofenadine in clinical studies, they would resolve completely after stopping the drug, so you can be reassured that you will again be normal.