Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My son is 17 years old and three weeks he got shingles - he

My son is 17 years old and three weeks he got shingles - he had spots located on the base of his back just right off centre and also on the inside of his right thigh - he was administered aciclover . At the same time he discovered a quite largish lump in his groin( right hand side ) which was sensitive to the touch. Three weeks on his spots are going down and the lump has gone down - is not painful anymore - but is definitely still there. The doctor at the time said it would be a lymph gland - should I be concerned ? How long should the lump take to go away ? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.
Yes, your son has rightly been prescribed with Acyclovir (Zovirax).
Also, Shingles generally lasts between two and six weeks.
Enlarged lymph nodes, are the glands which are part of our immune system which trap and kill the infectious organisms.
Such slightly inflamed lymph nodes, are normal part of body fighting mechanism. Usually such bumps would get resolve by its own.
It take further few weeks to be free from such enlarge lymph nodes.
No need to get panic. Sometimes, it may take as long as 1-2 months.
It slowly would disappear by its own.
He should take a cool bath or use wet compresses on such bump.
It would disappear by its own in few weeks.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.