Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

There! I am 23 years old and have been experiencing for

Hi there! I am 23 years old and have been experiencing for many years an awful pain that shoots into my back and eventually in my chest when I drink alcohol, although it is mostly when I drink spirits or stronger drinks which I now avoid. But it happens sometimes even when I drink weaker drinks. I can only describe the pain as a stabbing unbearable sensation that is the worst pain i have and will ever experience. I have got rushed to a&e one
Time, but the pain wears off after about 45 mins usually. In a&e I was told to contact my local GP which I done, but I always get the same answer 'well, don't drink alcohol then'. I completely understand this, and of course I hardly ever drink anymore because of this but I want an answer to why this is Even happening in the first place? I have other day to day symptoms which could all possibly link...abdominal pain which is not too bad but it's definitely there, especially when I lie in an awkward position and aprox every few weeks it gets worse and I have a few days where it is particularly painful. I am also loosing my appetite and going off food..have u any ideas what it could be? They may not even be linked but I wanted to give you a complete outline of my symptoms. If you have any ideas at all I would be most grateful! Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
This is pancreatitis.
You must have an exquisitely sensitive pancreas to alcohol. Alcohol causes direct inflammation of the pancreas but normal people can tolerate it fine.
You must be just sensitive to it.
But these symptoms are classic of pancreatitis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Phil..thanks for your really quick reply. If this the case, what would be my next steps? How is it treated? Thanks
You have to find an alcohol that doesn't trigger it. Maybe beer or wine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not too worried about what alcohol to drink, Have I got to see a doctor about this? Is the only steps I need to take following this suspected diagnosis to just not drink spirits or alcohol that affects me or do I need to get it treated? Thanks
Yes, that is it. Just avoid things that cause symptoms. Nothing else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for your advice - it's been a great help! Could it be anything else or are you pretty certain it is this? I just want to make sure I rule everything out. I don't want to think it is this and not bother going to the doctors if it could be something more serious? Thanks
I'm pretty positive that is what it is. Nothing else can really do that.Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)