Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Thank you reply. Would you mind explain to me why

Thank you for your reply. Would you mind explain to me why you think the antibiotics might reduce the effectiveness of Yasmin?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries. Actually what happens is that amoxicillin and clarithromycin (along with other drugs belonging to this group of macrolides) cause changes in the intestinal flora (bacteria that inhabit the intestine) leading to speeding up the metabolism of ethinyl estradiol component of yasmin leading to reduced drug levels which can potentially lead to failure of contraceptives. Even though there is a low risk of contraceptive failure but it is still recommended that alternative contraceptive measures should be used when using any drug that contains ethinyl estradiol. Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below. Kind regards