Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I can't sleep well at night this has been month now

I can't sleep well at night this has been for one month now it's affecting my work where I feel I can't go in as I'm unable to work properly I sleep well perhaps once a week for 6 hours the rest of the week it's 3/4 hours a night, seen the doctor he advised to take up a hobby after work yes it helps me to get to sleep but once I'm awake I can't go back to sleep my doctor refuses to provide me with sleeping tablets as he says they are addictive I don't know how to proceed as I can't function I'm constantly tired
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to sleep disturbances.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
There are various causes for insomnia/sleep disturbances. The most common one are: stress,anxiety,depression,change in sleeping habits,excessive intake of nicotine,alcohol,caffiene, certain medications,presence of an acute medical or surgical illness or hospitalization,Eating too much late in the evening & lot many causes.
CBT(cognitive behaviour therapy) techniques include:Controling or eliminating negative thoughts and worries that keep you awake.You need to maintain sleep diary for one to two weeks.Maintain a comfortable sleeping environment (not too hot, cold, noisy or bright.
Darkened room will help.Try drinking warm milk before bed. It is high in the amino acid tryptophan, which helps induce sleep.All these techniques will help you greatly.
Yes,sleeping pills are addictive but you may be prescribed with Benzodiazepine sedatives or Nonbenzodiazepine sedatives, antidepressants.
So my best advise for you is to follow the tips described above.If still after this,the symptoms persists then you need to consult the doctor for the prescription of the medications described above.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert