Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have thought a couple of years since my divorce

Customer Question

I have thought for some a couple of years since my divorce that i may have cyclothymia. I now see my life and moods more clearly without an outside influence.A number of females in my family have depression and i myself had post natal depression and other bouts in the past.I have made an appointment this morning with my gp to discuss it. When'up' i can get so much done not needing much sleep and people think im amazing but like now 'down' i feel lonely lack confidence and feel guilty seeing everything in my past as failure although i have a profitable business and two happy successful grown up kids-i do have friends and family but i can go hermit like !.Can i get help??
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Are you asking what help is available for this problem?
Or are you asking whether you can be prescribed medicine through this site?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am asking what help is available and has proven to be most successful medication or CBT for example?I understand that whilst difficult fer me it must be also so difficult for those around me

There are several treatment options for treatment in this situation.

The interventions that are most often used are medicines that are called mood stabilizers, because they can help diminish the upwards and downwards swings in mood. There are several that have been shown to be helpful, including lithium, valproic acid, carbamazepine, and lamotrigine. It is worth noting that several of these are anticonvulsants, if you were to look them up in a drug reference book or website, but they have also been found to be helpful as mood stabilizers. The medicine that is considered the first line medicine is lithium, as it has more years of study supporting its use, but the other medicines are increasingly being used.

For someone with more persistent symptoms, stronger medicines, such as some of the newer antipsychotics, have been shown to help with mood disorder, so also can be tried. Commonly used medicines include olanzipine, risperidone, and quetiapine.

It is also true that counselling, including CBT, is frequently used. It is more difficult to perform a study to prove the magnitude of the benefit of counselling, but many patients certainly say that it is helpful. The current life situation of each patient also may be considered when deciding upon whether to seek counselling, rather than making that decision based solely on the diagnosis.

So, the usual first step would be a mood stabilizer, either with or without counselling.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.