Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On the 17th April this year I had a triple by pass from which

Customer Question

On the 17th April this year I had a triple by pass from which I have recovered very well.
Whilst waiting in hospital for the operation it was discovered that I had a bleeding ulcer.
This was successfully treated with antibiotics before my heart surgery. I had two endoscopes - the first to establish that I had the bleeding ulcer, the second two week later to re assure the surgical team that the antibiotics had cured the problem which they had.
I am very happy with my recovery from the surgery and am able, without difficulty to do a mile and a half dog walk each morning over undulating Cotswold country.
However I am suffering from extreme flatulance which causes uncontrollable farting. I am also suffering from constipation. I was as regular as clockwork before my heart problems.
The flatulence is accompanied by extremely foul smells.
I am seventy eight years old and have an extremely healthy diet with masses of fruit and veg.
Is it possible that these problems are the after affects of the bleeding ulcer or are they caused by my drug regime which is the usual one for by pass recovery patients.
Can you suggest medication to relieve my symptoms. My GP is a woman and I do not find it easy to raise these problems with her.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There is no single drug regimen for someone after heart bypass.
What medicines are you currently taking for this or any other medical problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clopidogrel
Atorvastatin
Bisoprolol
Thank you for the additional information.

It is common for certain heart medicines to affect bowel function, but the medicines that you are taking are not typically a cause of flatulence or constipation, although both the atorvastatin and bisoprolol can cause diarrhea in about 5% of patients.

It is therefore, more likely that this is a residual effect of the ulcer disease. Since the ulcer disease is better, it is likely that it is a residual effect of the ulcer disease, but there also should be some consideration of whether there has been some recurrence of an acid irritation syndrome, even if not an ulcer. There is some risk of acid irritation syndrome and ulcer disease following heart surgery, called a stress ulcer, and the risk is greater in someone that has a history of ulcer disease. I notice that you are not taking any medicine for ongoing treatment of an acid irritation syndrome, so it may be helpful to start a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as omeprazole.

There also are a couple medicines that can be used to directly relieve the symptoms. The most commonly used is simethicone, which is available in a wide variety of brand name products. Another option would be activated charcoal, such as in CharcoCaps.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.