How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 33743
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I am a 59 year old male, I'm suffering from a distended

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 59 year old male, I'm suffering from a distended stomach and severe loss of appetite/weight loss, I've had a colonoscopy, gastroscopy, CT scan (small intestine), ultrasound of pancreas/gallbladder all of which resulted in no diagnosis. I am just finishing a course of penicillin for a suspected small bowel bacterial overgrowth which doesn't appear to have worked (although I never had a breath test/other tests to confirm this).
Any help/thoughts would be most appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Besides the weight loss and distended stomach any problems with your bowel movements? Any actual abdominal pain? And do you have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, bowel movements are fairly regular although stools are loose, abdominal discomfort more than pain but this is variable eg I have had this lower left and right (below navel) and also upper right below ribs, I take candesatan/felodipine (BP meds, well controlled) and rabeprazole for excess stomach acid, no other medical conditions.

Many thanks, Derek

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Derek. Have you had a gastric emptying study, a HIDA scan of your gall bladder, and a screen for an H pylori stomach infection?
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you had any of those?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no to all, can I get them done privately?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Are you seeing a gastroenterologist, and, if so, what is his opinion about all of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was, info as my original message but he has discharged me as he thought penicillin would resolve

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--yes you can get those studies privately but first you need to contact him and ask him about them. I can't be certain about the exact problem here but you could have gastroparesis--a sluggishly emptying stomach--or a poorly emptying gall bladder, or an H pylor infection, or more than one of those together