Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 15 year old son who has ASD and SLD is sleeping a lot, he

my 15 year old son who has ASD and SLD is sleeping a lot, he takes a very low dose of risperidone, sleeps well at night time and sleeps again after breakfast fore the majority of the afternoon, he does have a virus at the moment but this has been an on and off occurrence since the age of 10, it is concerning, he eats healthily, is normally healthy, strong with lots of energy, he has severe learning difficulties and is not able to verbally express how he feels. hope you have some ideas.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Has he had a sleep study and a check of this thyroid function?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--you said this had been going on--off and on--for about five years. How often does it happen and how long does it last?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approximately three days at a time every six weeks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. Then it doesn't sound like a low thyroid problem but it could be a sleep apnea problem even if it seems as though he sleeps soundly through the night.

If I were his doctor I'd check for that with a sleep study so you should ask his doctor about that

Let me know if you need any more information