Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

A few days ago I had an ultra-sound guided cortisone injection

A few days ago I had an ultra-sound guided cortisone injection in my elbow for Tennis Elbow. Please could you advise when I should proceed with Physio/acupuncture and exercise/type of exercise.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

I would see your doctor first before starting physical therapy and acupuncture and exercise of your elbow

tennis elbow tendonitis can often get worse with exercise and stress on the elbow

your tennis elbow tendonitis has to be completely resolved before doing more exercise and physical therapy of your arm and elbow

you might benefit from icing or heating your elbow as well

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had my treatment done under private medical cover but was made redundant a few days ago and so am no longer covered. I understand it can take up to 18 weeks to get seen under the NHS. I know I need to take exercise carefully but thought there might be a specialist on here who could help.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
is your pain better with tendonitis in your elbow after your steroid injection?

are you icing your elbow as well and resting it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didnt really notice the pain before until I stretched/lifted. It seems better and doesnt hurt when I hand shake. I'm trying to rest it but am not treating it in any way. My elft elbow also has it. Before treatment my left elbow was hardly noticeable of need of treatment but now Ive had the right arm done the left is noticeably hurting.

Am I ok to swim now? Can I start to gradually exercise like say with pressups? i used to do 20 twice a day with no pain so I could start with 1 or 2 a day and gradually increase?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you could be doing more with your left arm now that you have a right elbow tendonitis.

I would not swim or exercise until your tendonitis of your elbows get better.

I would not do pushups until your tendonitis gets better

tendonitis will not get better if you continue to exercsise and stress your elbows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got tennis elbow in both arms about 18 months ago after playing a heavy game of badminton. The right arm was much worse than the left. The pain nearly went away completely following a series of physio & acupuncture but came back immediately after moving house which needed heavy lifting. After repeated physio / acupuncture I stopped treatment and it made little difference. The pain became more sharp when I over-exerted e.g. hand shaking or turning handles but has subsided a little. At one point the left arm became worse than the right but after resting, my arms settled down with the right hand becoming the worse. After the Cortisone injection the right arm appears to be nearly cured. I’m not sure but I don’t want to test, but I seem to be able to hand shake ok. The left arm is only mild in pain. From internet research it would appear that Cortisone injections offer only short term relief and so maybe I need to continue to rest my arms. However I would like to get back to some sort of exercise. Prior to the injection I would swim front crawl and do push ups with no impact on my arms. When is the point at which I can begin to return to exercise - although I appreciate it needs to be gradual? I have tried cold packs, arm bands, massage, forearm exercises etc in the past but they have made no difference to my condition in my arms. I actually think the forearm lifting makes it worse.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you do need to continue to rest your arms.

yes, more work and strain will make it worse.

you need to rest your forearms to help your tendonitis to get better

it could be several weeks to several months for your tondonitis to get better.

your tendonitis was a sign you were doing too much

you have to listen to your body

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician