Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I recently tore (grade 3) the tendon at the top of my quad

I recently tore (grade 3) the tendon at the top of my quad and after getting a scan I was told there was a complete tear of the tendon with a gap of 2.5cm between the torn ends. My
GP said I would probably need surgery and refered me to a specialist. The specialist said I don't need surgery and suggested I rest it for 3 months. My question is how does a 2.5 fm gap between torn ends close up and reattach if the tendon is completely torn? Should I go to a different specialist? I'm a competitive athlete so I cannot rest if for three months only to find I need surgery and will be out for longer.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
how old are you?
what sport do you play?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
18 year old Sprinter (Athletics)
Okay. You are correct. This will not heal in an athlete.You need to see another surgeon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
18 year old sprinter (athletics)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the answer! Just to confirm before I make an appointment with a different specialist/surgeon, please read the findings of my MRI scan which i got after the injury and confirm that you recommend I see a different surgeon. I would be grateful if you could briefly explain the sentence which i have highlighted in bold and underlined at the end of the report:

Findings:

A full-thickness tear of the central proximal tendon of the left rectus femoris is noted with a gap of 2.5 cm between the torn ends. The surrounding muscle traversing the tear site. This therefore represents a grade 3 tear of the central tendon, but an overall grade 2 tear of the rectus femoris. A small amount of haemorrhage is noted at the tear site, however, no gross haematoma is identified.

Mild subchonondral oedema is seen in the pubic symphysis in keeping with mild osteitis pubis.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Please respond to follow up question
I'm sorry. I was offline.
I can help further.
Mild osteitis pubis is simply inflammation in the pubic bone
It is due to your sprinting.
I don't think it is anything to worry about though Sean
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)