Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was dignosised Lacunar cerebral infarction. could you

Hi, I was dignosised Lacunar cerebral infarction. could you please tell me how bad this is and is it possible to cure from it. thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What test was done to diagnose the lacunar infarction?
Did the doctor say whether there was any specific factor that caused the lacunar infarction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brain mri、Side of the spine is an X-ray and Transcranial doppler ultrasound was tested. The doctor said that there are some white spot on the graphic. How can I show you the test photos? Thank you very much and excuse me for my English because I'm from China.

You can attach a photo to your reply in this forum using the icon that looks like a paper clip.

Detailed instructions are at ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the images.

There are several issues for discussion in this situation.

First, lacunar cerebral infarctions, also called lacunar strokes, are generally smaller than other types of cerebral infarctions. They also usually have a better prognosis than other types of cerebral infarctions, both in terms of clinical outcomes of the infarction and in the likelihood of recurrence.

So, while there is concern whenever a 31 year old has any type of cerebral infarction, a lacunar cerebral infarction is the better type of cerebral infarction from the perspective of clinical outcomes.

Like other strokes, though, there is no specific treatment that can “cure” a lacunar infarction. As with all strokes, there are many interventions that can be done on the day of acute symptoms that may help to limit the extent of the damage associated with the infarction. But after the acute episode, the interventions are oriented towards improving function, not accomplishing a cure. Physical, Occupational, or Speech Therapy can be used, depending upon the symptoms caused by the infarction.

In addition, it is important to manage risk factors for cerebral infarction, particularly hypertension and diabetes, which are the two greatest risk factors for lacunar infarctions. Appropriate management of the risk factors for infarction will do more to prevent another infarction than any intervention done to treat the current infarction.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for not being clear I was asking for my mother, she's 56 years old. She's now very anxiety about it.Is there any medicine that she can take? Is there any thing we can do to make the situation better? She's now learning playing piano, does this kind of things help? And the doctor said there's cerebellar atrophy from the photo, is that right? is it serious? Thank you so much.

There is less concern about an infarction in a 56 year old than in a 31 year old.

There is no medicine that can be taken after the acute episode that will help with recovery from a lacunar infarction, but there are a variety of medicines that may be used to help manage risk factors, such as hypertension or diabetes.

As I noted above, the interventions that will help with recovery are Physical, Occupational, and Speech therapy. Although the specific interventions would be based on the assessment of symptoms, there are situations in which the fine motor movements involved in playing the piano can help.

Cerebral atrophy is associated with the loss of tissue related to the infarction. It does not carry any greater concern than the underlying infarction.
It is good that she is not having any acute symptoms. The primary concern in that situation is to control risk factors to minimize risk of recurrence, The atrophy does not look bad, and the amount of atrophy associated with the infarction will not get worse. However, there is a small gradual progression in cerebral atrophy in everyone as they age, and that is not worrisome.