Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have pains in my chest and cannot sleep due to coughing.

I have pains in my chest and cannot sleep due to coughing. I have been told that I either have GERD or an infection in my upper back which was diagnosed through listening to my breathing. I have been taking omeprazole 40 mg since Sunday . I am really struggling to sleep due to coughing and I am only sleeping for about 1 hour and then up. This has been going on for over one week. I don't have heart burn . Please can you advise what I cannot do ,I have changed my diet, I don't smoke and I'm not particularly over weight.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Since how long you have this cough?
Have you undergone an x-ray of chest?
Is there phlegm in cough/sputum?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been coughing for about 8 days.
No I haven't had an x ray.
There is no phlegm
Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The chronic cough you & pain in chest you are having since last 8 days can be due to following causes: asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus problems like sinus infection,postnasal drip (Rhinorrhea).
Other cause are:lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis,bronchiectasis,certain medications,respiratory irritants such as chemicals.
It does not seem to be due to gastric reflux.Infections seems to be the most probable cause.
You need:X-ray chest,pulmonary function test(PFT),allergy and sinus tests.
Its good that you have changed the diet & do not smoke.
As you are struggling to sleep due to coughing and only sleeping for about 1 hour with disturbed sleep,I advise you to make an urgent early appointment with your chest doctor.
Dry coughs are treated with cough suppressants also called antitussives.Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine,codeine are the common one.Antibiotics need to be prescribed if the bacterial infection is confirmed.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I would like to add my opinion here.Even though you do not have heart burns or pain in your stomach GERD still is a very strong possibility in your case particularly since your symptoms are worse when you lie down.So I would recommend that you should increase the dose of your anti acid medication to 40 mg twice daily rather than once daily to see if that helps with your symptoms.Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long before I should see some improvementb
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It can take at least two weeks for symptoms to start improving on omeprazole at a dose of 40 mg once or twice daily.
So I would recommend that you should take a higher dose of the once daily dose has not helped and wait for at least two weeks.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine