Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Dr Chip Can I ask you a psychology question please? I was

Customer Question

Hi Dr Chip
Can I ask you a psychology question please? I was driving home and I was listening to Radio four and they were discussing a song called Strange Fruit, it relate to what happened in the deep south America and it troubled me. what makes society reject a human life treat it as if it is worthless, soulless and renders it powerless and then can't get the fact that it will affect that persons mental health? What drives another human to be so devoid of humanity? Tina
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tina. I know the song well--Billie Holliday sang it. One question first--to whom were you referring about their mental health being affected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The person who is treated as if they are worthless then being hang just because they are difference, why does it suit the person who is doing it! we hear and see so much of it in society today? What is driving the ignorance the lack of empathy or even the lack of acceptance?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well first off the psychological term is xenophobia--fear of others that are different. The fear can express itself as hatred, anger, loathing, etc. To a certain extent it may be evolutionary--from the ancient times when we were hunter/gatherers and other tribes would threaten to rob our food supplies.

That said, for someone to actually lynch or torture someone else on the basis of their race alone indicates deep psychological troubles in the murderer/torturer. It indicates extreme low self-esteem and anger that is often coupled with that low self-esteem. In a since, belittling someone else in any manner is a defense against one's feeling worthless

Let me know if you need me to discuss this further

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So how does one protect their mental state from people with low self esteem in general? Especially if they naturally feel the need to help others, so that they are not drawn in to the person's negative low self esteem's emotions, to with draw can leave one feeling guilty, almost that you are abandoning that person in need, yet to stay is to be emotionally drained?

Does that make sense? I am talking about everyday life now, not the extreme of xenophobia!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, one can try to help someone else who has low self-esteem but if that person isn't able to accepts one's help, one does have to withdraw in a sense. A good example is with an alcoholic and his/her enabler--say a wife or husband. The ultimatum sometimes has to be given--stop drinking and I'll support you entirely, or don't stop and I'll have to leave. That wouldn't be abandoning the other person--it actually could help the other person to seek professional help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well Dr Chip your worth every penny, I guess we have to accept that we can't fix everything in life for everybody and we just have to be strong when the poop hits the fan

Have a lovely day

Tina

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Tina--call on me anytime