Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I would like to ask a question about a dental issue.

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--what's your question please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter is 7. She had a filling on a pre-molar about 6 weeks ago. Today she has a small red lump directly above the affected tooth, and I can also see a black spot on the biting surface. When I pressed the tooth, some white pus came out of the gum lump. She says it only hurts if she touches it. Is this an abscess and if so does it mean the tooth has to be extracted?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Will. No, the tooth doesn't need extraction but obviously there is an abscess in the gum area with the pus coming out. She needs to see the dentist again and get a course of amoxicillin or another antibiotic for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But if there is an abscess, doesn't that mean the tooth is dead and needs to be removed?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not at all and this isn't an abscess in the tooth itself. All that needs doing right now is to get rid of the infection with antibiotics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do you know it's not an abscess in the tooth? I can see something on the biting surface, and when I press on the tooh, pus comes out of the gum.

Won't this just keep on happening, even if this infection is controlled?

Sorry for the questions - I am just trying to understand, so that I know a bit more before seeing the dentist this afternoon. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't sound at all as though the tooth itself is dead. The spot you see on the surface may be a small cavity but that wouldn't mean the tooth itself has to be extracted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hope so.

If it does need to be extracted, how easy is that with a local rather than GA?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Usually extractions can be done painlessly just with local anesthesia