Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 21 years old,male, slim but could eat a better diet,

Hi, I am 21 years old,male, slim but could eat a better diet, but I have a few months ago experienced a strange sensation on a couple of occasions about 4 or 5 months ago, a few weeks apart. It basically felt like my eye and cheek were drooping for about 15-20 seconds, before returning to normal. I thought I would research it expecting a simple answer but everything I read seems to indicate a mini stroke but I'm fairly certain that is not the case! I believe both occasions happened at times I was very tired(within a couple of hours of being awake, and I am a rather poor sleeper anyway). Do you have any ideas? They were very brief lasting only seconds and I did not notice any other symptoms and have not had it again for a number of months. Hope you can put my mind at ease. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

These symptoms are not worrisome. There are several possible causes in a young adult, but none of them are a reason for concern.

It certainly is true that it could be related to fatigue, as any muscle in the body may have transient weakness when a person gets fatigued. When the symptoms occur within a short time after awakening, it is possible that it is related to pressure applied to the nerve from being in a certain position during sleep. It is also possible that a viral infection can affect the nerve to the facial muscles, which can cause transient weakness.

Since none of these possible causes are a reason for concern, there is no reason to pursue any medical evaluation and you do not need to worry about this any further.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.