Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have bulging disc,s in my back it is. Now affecting my arms,legs,neck

Customer Question

I have bulging disc,s in my back it is. Now affecting my arms,legs,neck as well as my back the Doctor put me on Tapentadol & Gabapentin capsules and none of these are helping can you suggest anything else I could use I am also waiting to have a epidural for my back but the consultant told me there are no guarantees that it will work they were also going to try morphine patches Thankyou Carol Creighton.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries
Epidural block usually does work so I am very hopeful about that.
Plus a cortisone injection in the neck at the level where your discs are bulging may also help which again is something that I would try as well.
Nerve pain is very stubborn and is quite often not helped with medications like tapentadol and gabapentin. Increasing doses of gabapentin may be required to see if it helps with your pain. Plus, stronger pain medications like you mentioned i.e. morphine patch may very well help in your case.
Nerve pain will usually not be helped by hot water bottle, massages or heat patches.
If none of these work then the final option is spinal surgery (laminectomy).
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.