DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Just need to understand why my docs are so relaxed about an

Just need to understand why my docs are so relaxed about an issue I thought was a big deal.
2 years ago
I had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and the results came back identifying" 2 x (6mm) well defined low attenuation foci in segment 4 in the liver , likely to be benign cysts " by the Consultant radiologist. I freaked out a little as I thought that I shouldn't have anything on my liver. The Urological Surgeon who originally sent me for the scan advised me that everything was normal and these cysts are a normal variant and regularly found in imaging on normal healthy adults. Due to my age 39 and the fact that I had no known malignancy and that my physical examination along with a complete blood panel including liver function, kidney function (GFR >90) and ESR were all normal there would be no need to do any follow ups and this could be put behind me and I could move on.
As im a bit of a hypochondriac I went for a second opinion with a well renowned Gasterentorologist and he again agreed with the Urological surgeon and said we can have a ultrasound done just to put your mind at rest. The report came back from the consultant radiologist saying liver is normal no evidence of cysts, liver is fine.I spoke to my GI and he said he initially wanted me to go to his specialist abdominal radiologist not a general radiologist although he was good he had refered me to the specialist radiologist that he uses for his patients.
I went to the specialist abdominal radiologist a few days later and he looked at my liver and said everything is normal and I dont have any heptic cysts, the full report came back liver (unremarkable). I thought this was a little strange as the CT report said I had the cysts..
Both the Urological surgeon and Gasterentorologist then sent letters to my GP stating no further follow ups required.My Gp agreed and said there is no cause for concern especially as I had a full medical including full blood panels which was all ok.
I have been advised to get on with my life and put this episode behind me , however im still left wondering if I did ever have liver cysts. I had the first CT scan in May 2013, the 1st Ultrasound in mid June 2013 and the second Ultrasound end of June 2013.
I lost my mum to cancer a couple of years ago and get really worried about getting this disease and therefore I go and have these tests with no real symptoms. I am based in the UK and have received this advice from well respected specialists who are considered leading specialist in my region but still worry
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I don't see any problem here.
If you have simple cysts, so what? They are benign.
if you do not, great?
There is no issue here.
Either the CT was in error, or the ultrasound missed the cysts.
Either way it is OK.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Thomas

I just started freaking out again today as im such a worrier , I started reading about HCC and other liver malignancies, started over analysing that the radiologist said 'likely' to be benign cysts. So I went to my Gp today and he said that based on the American College of Radiology guidelines these findings are so common that they have been categorized and in my case there is no further investigation. He also mentioned that if I did have something like HCC as it was 2 years ago when the initial finding of cysts was I would certainly be experiencing symptoms now. Just looking for a second opinion really. Thanks for you first response by the way.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Your GP is quite correct.
It is clear that anxiety or health anxiety or even an anxiety disorder is the problem here.
I would suggest cognitive behavioral therapy in this case.
As far as your liver, you are fine.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep he diagnosed me with GAD and has prescribed pregabalin.

Many thanks for the second opinion.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
Any questions.