Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a tumour that was attached to my liver. I've just

Hi, I had a tumour that was attached to my liver. I've just had it removed along with the right lobe of my liver and my gallbladder. I haven't had biopsy results yet but the consultants didn't seem too concerned though my tumour was 20x17x15cm which was very large especially as I'm 5'3 weighing around 8 stone. Can you advice me things to help rejuvenate my liver or just future diet advice.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I am sorry to know that you have suffering a lot.
The exact diagnosis can only be known by sending the tumor in the histopathology lab for biopsy and having a look in the microscope.
But the reassuring thing is that your doctors/surgeons were not too concerned of it being cancerous.
There is nothing specific that has been definitively proven to help rejuvenate your liver.
But you do need to take a good, healthy and balanced diet with a good portion of protein in it.
Also keep yourself well hydrated.
Hopefully you should recover soon.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there no additional vitamin supplements I can take or foods to avoid that was the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

My point is that there is no vitamin that is been definitively proven to help 'rejuvenate' your liver faster.

Although there are many claims by many companies that make vitamins but there is no definitive evidence for their use.

If your liver function tests are normal i.e. if your bilirubin, ALT, AST, GGT are all normal this means your liver is functioning fine in spite of the surgery, therefore there is nothing that you need to avoid or take.

Here is a link that you can read for yourself which mentions various vitamins and minerals and the evidence, if any, for their use:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/condition-1356-Liver+disease.aspx

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So am I right in thinking water is the best healthiest thing to help my liver. 2L a day is that the suggest amount? Is it true caffeine is bad for the liver?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Keeping yourself well hydrated is very good and safe.
So drinking at least two liters of water would be really good for you.
Caffeine is not only bad for liver but a lot of other things in the body.
So I would recommend limiting caffeine to as little as possible.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below before we proceed.