Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recently had a cardioversion which was successful. i

Customer Question

I have recently had a cardioversion which was successful. i am taking 100 mg Losartan Potassium
20 mg. Furosemide 2.5mg Bisopropolol 3mg Warfarin
I will be taken off the Warfarin soon.
However my scalp and my upper body are very itchy at present.
I have read the instructions given with these medications and wonder if maybe Furosemide . is the problem. I am 85 and have never been in hospital apart from recent heart problems and now feel really well apart from this itchiness Can you please advise
Marion Bromiley
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, of the medicines that you are taking, the furosemide would be the most likely to cause the itching. It can cause itching because of a direct side effect, and the furosemide is a sulfa-type drug. It also can cause itching by dehydrating the skin, because of the diuretic effect.

After a successful cardioversion, it may be that the furosemide is no longer needed, but it also may require replacement with a different diuretic. It would generally be recommended to only stop the furosemide under medical supervision, in case there is significant worsening of fluid retention.

You certainly can try application of moisturisers to the skin to see if the itching is eased. It also may help to use an oral antihistamine, which can help if it is a direct side effect, and it would be better to use a non-sedating antihistamine, such as loratidine or cetirizine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.