Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Could I have hAM/tsp or aTLL,as endocrinologist said I carried

Customer Question

Could I have hAM/tsp or aTLL,as endocrinologist said I carried htclv.i was person with thyroid problems and now mobility problems. He told me I had it in my HLA and I had immune ? Response
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

HTLV-1 Associated Myelopathy (HAM) is a slowly progressive, chronic disease of the spinal cord seen in some people infected with the HTLV-1 virus

I doubt you have HAM. Blood test to detect antibodies to HTLV-1 is needed to make diagnosis but most people with antibodies do not have HAM/TSP. I doubt you have HAM/TSP.

I doubt you have adult T cell lymphoma.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have lesions in vertebra t5and t6 also,extreme fatigue and anxiety too. I have lost all faith in my GPs,I Despite repeated calls I don't go any more. I feel so ill and alone now. Guess i,ve given up!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
how do you know you have a bone lesion in T5 and T6

where these seen on xray or CT scan?

there are benign bone cysts and schmorl's nodes in bones often seen on spine MRI scans

I'm sorry you are having such fatigue

you need to make sure your thyroid hormone levels are normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were seen on X-ray of spine 9yrsago. when I started to fall 4yrs ago and having high leg spasms I could not control, I was admitted to a neurological ward for 2days-had lumber puncture and repeat M.RI scans of head and spine. I am so anxious,but was never given results,apart from 2 wks later was seen in out patients,and told I had CSVD and put on clopidogrel. we only have 8 mins consultations in n.h.s! Have only spoken to gp on phone who denied csvd and then had to wear heart monitor,but I guess now I have to confront situation,as now have incontinence problems,high spasms again, complete deafness in right ear, and worsening sight and Gait. Thanks for advice but it's so hard in England to get seen my medics unless u,ve money,which I don't have anymore and can't work! I can see this going to crisis,my relatives are few and far between!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
hopefully the heart monitor will be able to see if you are having heart rhythm problems causing your symptoms.

you might need to see a neurologist and get nerve conductions studies to see

I know it can take a while to see a neurologist in the UK

ask your GP to refer you to see a neurologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't,t tell me results of heart monitor ! When in nurro ward they picked up PAF which is why put on clopidogrel apparently! My go recommended I only see him at surgery but he is rarely there! Recently I,ve developed severe neuralgic pains. Over chest and around rib area. Stood it for a while but had to call surgery after a week of it as unbearable. He sent chemist round with gabapentin 10 msg t.d.s a month ago which I'm still taking and has helped. Another medication to add to all the meda
S I'm on! I'm going mad with all this and something I haven,t mentioned is that I was abruptly taken off diazepam 3 times over past 10yrs and had to me commenced again after fever,,severe anxiety and urinary incontinence.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad the gabapentin has helped

gabapentin is used to help decrease nerve pain

so your pains on your ribs are most likely nerve pain.

it sounds like you need another medication to treat your anxiety symptoms

you might need an SSRI agent like sertraline or paxil or prozac to help decrease your anxiety symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I, may have progressive m.s! aM I naive Dr David? I researched the bone cyst you mentioned and its schuermans disese,which my niece was born with.the pathogenesis of which is htclv?I was born in Jamaica,of an army family. My sister died age 56 of m.s complications in 2002 and my mother died of melanoma with cerebral metasteses in 1961 when I was 7, and my memories are her symtoms being similar to mine now. She died under anaesthetic during a burr hole operation i underststand! What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I doubt you have melanoma

you can get testing to check for MS with a brain MRI scan and spinal tap to check for MS

but MS is rare.