Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My uncle is he has fluctuating blood pressure witch goose

Customer Question

My uncle is 69 he has fluctuating blood pressure witch goose dangerously high the dangerously low he's passing out and sweating badly and has trouble breathing when this happens what could cause this
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

his dependancy on alcohol could be causing problesm with his nerves which can cause fluctuating blood pressure to go dangerously high and low.

patients who drink too much often can have low B12 and low folate levels which can cause his nerves to not function properly and cause autoinomic nerve problems with control of his blood pressure.

you can read about autonomic neuropathy or damage to nerves from alcohol use here

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/autonomic-neuropathy

it sounds like his dependence to alcohol is quite severe if he is going to lie to get back home so he can drink

in these situations, it can be very difficult to help patients who are not willing to help themselves, who will continue to drink no matter what

he needs to be willing to go into a alcohol treatment program where his alcohol is taken away and he can be monitored for withdraw side effects such as DT and seizures

but it doesn't sound like he will be willing to get into this sort of program

ask his doctors to check his B12 and folate and magnesium blood levels, if they are low, they can affect his bone marrow and also affect his nerve function as well

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is having B12 injections so you think this is just due to the drinking .

Does this mean that his often are falling

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I meant orgens

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
that is good he is getting B12 injections

that means his B12 levels are low

but if he continues to drink alcohol, this can continue to damage his nerves and affect his B12 levels and folate level as well.

after many decades of drinking, he can damage his liver and cause liver failure at some point.

his blood pressures going up and down isn't a sign of organ failure, most likely it is from his alcohol use.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com