Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Im 41 years old with really bad chicken pox all over my face

im 41 years old with really bad chicken pox all over my face and body with 100s of sore blisters for 3 days now and wanted to know if a oral anti-viral for chicken pox could be used such as a Genital Herpes Treatment to help with the chicken pox
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Yes, a medication like acyclovir can help with chickenpox but it's most effective when taken within 24 hours after the rash appears. You should discuss taking it with your doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

due to the amount of blister and im concerned with possible scarring left on my face I didnt know if medication like acyclovir can help with the healing

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It can certainly shorten the duration of the disease Bonny so you should give it a try. The main thing for now is to avoid scratching so you need either oral benadryl or Claritin and I'd suggest caladryl lotion for your face