Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been suffering from stomach problems couple

Customer Question

Hi I have been suffering from stomach problems for a couple of years now. I go through spells where I have them and spells where hey disappear. I suffer from anxiety and my stomach normally flares up after a spell of constant worry. I get burning, bloating, nausea normally a few hours after eating in the evening. I have a feeling of uneasiness in my gut all the time constantly during these flare ups and feel constantly on edge and anxious as a result of it. Sometimes my stomach churns like I'm on a fairground ride. I am also suffering from constipation.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I assume the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome was suggested to you?

Have you had a gastric emptying study and a ct scan of your abdomen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they did say I had ibs. No I haven't had the tests you mentioned

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Suzanne. So are you asking if what you have is IBS or if it may be something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm thinking of gastroparesis although my doc is quite certain it's not that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion--made when all other possibilities are ruled out.

This sounds like it might be gastroparesis and that's why I asked about the gastric emptying study which I would do were I your doctor. Another possibility would be a gall bladder problem--either stones or an improperly emptying gall bladder, and the ct scan and a HIDA scan would check for those. Finally, there may be a problem with your pancreas not making sufficient digestive enzymes and I would check your amylase and lipase for that.

Finally, there are more effective medications for IBS like Bentyl or Levsin.

I can only make suggestions here since I'm not your doctor so you need to discuss all this with your doctor

Let me know if you need any more information Suzanne