Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Blood in stool after bout of food piosoning and vomiting

Customer Question

blood in stool after bout of food piosoning and vomiting
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is fairly common for a bad infection of the gut, such as occurs with food poisoning, to cause blood in the stool. This can occur directly from the infection or it can occur secondary to diarrhea that is the most common symptoms of food poisoning.

If the blood in the stool only occurs during and immediately following the episode of confirmed food poisoning, it is not as worrisome as blood in the stool at other times.

However, if the blood in the stool persists, it would be appropriate to be seen for further evaluation.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its not a lot of blood i just noticed it last 2 days i was very sick on tuesday last week i still feel weak how long till i can expect to feel back to normal i am 69 its rteally knocked me back

The duration of symptoms would vary according to which type of food poisoning occurred. It can vary from a couple days to a couple weeks. The types that typically take longer to resolve are when a germ is transmitted by the food and an infection sets up in the GI tract, which then takes some time to clear. It may help to accelerate recovery if you were to take a probiotic supplement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what supplement do u suggest

There are many good probiotics on the market, with two common example of Align and Bio-Kult.