DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Im on the fentanyl patch dose 50 mcg/ hr and i change it

Customer Question

Hi, Im on the fentanyl patch dose 50 mcg/ hr and i change it every 72 hours.I had it changed yesterday at 11 am and ive only just realised the old patch was still in place.We usually put the patch on my back but yesterday we changed our routine and because it was applied to my upper arm my daughter forgot to remove the old one.I usually find that my pain increases quickly after 2/12 days and im always very uncomfortable by the third day at change time.This has been my pattern for nearly a year now.I have removed the old patch which i only discovered when i scratched my back:(( Will i need to seek help for possible accidental O.D.? im slightly reluctant to inform my G.P. In case he stops my patch.It took me many years of severe pain and 2 admissions just for pain control before it was even considered.I will however be guided by your judgement
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Let me clarify
The old patch is now removed.
You have the new patch on
You don't have any symptoms
Correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct.I feel 100 % alert ,im just worried in case im at risk and also ,im usually hyper careful re my meds and i dont want to have my doc think im unreliable.i know that there is reticence to prescribe strong opiate meds but mine have been prescribed by an anaesthetist Consultant Initially, then i was handed over to my G.P. For follow up .I then see my Pain Doc (the one who prescribed ) at the pain clinic as an N.H.S.patient.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes im fine no adverse symptoms
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I don't see any problem.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much.Enjoy your evening.
Sharon.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You too.