Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My little boy had chickenpox 2 weeks ago. He had swollen glands

Customer Question

My little boy had chickenpox 2 weeks ago. He had swollen glands in neck and head. The glands on his headhave gone down but ones in neck still raised. I took him to the doctors and they said they were between the size of a peanut and pea and not to worry and to take him back in 3/4 weeks . Despite this I still feel worried and would just like some reassurance .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

His doctors are correct. There is no need to worry. Chickenpox does cause lymph node enlargement in more than one region. However there is no treatment for the enlarged lymph nodes due to this viral infection, and they decreases in size gradually on their own. But if the lymph nodes do not decrease in size even after a month, I would suggest consulting his doctors again.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I have been very worried and you can see them when he cries. What size should they be normally ?
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

These are just reactive lymph nodes which is a healthy response of the body, and are not alarming. Regarding normal size this is variable and depends on the person's age and the location of the lymph node in the body. In children, lymph nodes are barely palpable, but a progressive increase in total lymph node mass is observed until later childhood. The upper limit in size of a normal node varies with location.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you , hopefully I will sleep tonight
You are welcome.