Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am really unhappy with my birth gender ive felt un happy

i am really unhappy with my birth gender ive felt un happy with it since i was 9-10 but hid it trough school and i have only recently told a hand full of friends and family members but the depression that was a result of keeping it locked in has made me too nervous and timid to go to the gp about it
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This is known as Gender Identity disorder, it is a recognized condition and you can actually get help for this. If you do not feel comfortable with your birth gender then after a series of evaluation by psychiatrists, there are procedures that can help you. I would suggest that you not feel embarrassed about this as it is not as uncommon as you might believe. Go to your GP and have yourself referred to the appropriate specialty for a more detailed evaluation.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you need any more information about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i keep meaning to but my nerves get the better of

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
You will need to take a step up on this and be proactive about this. This is nothing to be ashamed of and in today's world of psychiatry and medicine, gender identity is considered to be extremely important.
Gender is in the mind and not in the physical appearance or the rest of the body. So, if your mind feels closer to the opposite gender then your body should be made to comply with it.
There is nothing to be ashamed of or afraid of. The best course of action will be to see your doctor about this. Your physician and psychiatrist will take things further in a very sensitive way and confidential way.
Best.