Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have urinalysis dipsticks at home and when doing one because

Customer Question

I have urinalysis dipsticks at home and when doing one because I am having urine infection symptoms, the dipstick showed leukocytes, protein and confusingly a small amount of bilirubin. Do you think that this is anything to worry about? I have had this show up before but nobody has said why or if I should be worried. Any advice?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I can understand your concern. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The amount of conjugated bilirubin present in serum in healthy subjects is small (less than 10% of total bilirubin).An elevated level of conjugated bilirubin only appears in urine in the presence of liver disease or obstruction of the bile ducts.
As your dipstick showed leukocytes & protein-that are because of urinary tract infection.
A small amount of bilirubin(urobilinogen) in urine is normal.There is nothing of concern & to worry.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I am still a little confused however. The dipsticks I have, test for both URO and BIL. So what is the difference in the 2? Also, nothing showed up in the URO bit just in the BIL part. Is that still normal? Many thanks.
Dear customer
Okay.As you have provided more details now,my answer varies accordingly.As you said that your dipstick has chemicals for both urobilinogen & bilirubin and it came out negative for uro & slightly poistive for bilirubin-this can be of little concern.
Bilirubin is not normally present in the urine. Bilirubin in your urine may indicate liver damage or disease. Its presence in the urine usually indicates blockage of liver or bile ducts, hepatitis or some other liver damage.
Although there does not seem to be anything dangerous or serious,but I advise you to have LFT(liver function test) so as to rule out any underlying liver disease.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I would like to add my opinion here. Urobilinogen and bilirubin are completely different things. The expert above tried to suggest in one of the posts above that bilirubin is the same as urobilinogen which is something that I would totally disagree with.If you are tested positively for bilirubin in a urine dipstick test you should always be evaluated further for this.Bilirubin should not normally be present in the urine of a healthy person.Urobilinogen can be present in a healthy person in the urine but not bilirubin and must always be investigated further by a blood test.Let me know if you have more questions.