Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had an MRI scan which shows that the gland on the right side

I had an MRI scan which shows that the gland on the right side of my neck has virtually totally atrophied and that the gland on the left side of my neck is much bigger than it should be.I have been telling the GP since 2007 that my neck on the right side and round my clavicle felt numb and strange but they told me my bloods for thyroid were fine. I have also had recurring numbness in fingers and toes, weight gain and hair loss and am constantly tired.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

sometimes part of the thyroid gland can atrophy (or shrink up) due to thyroiditis or inflammation of the thyroid gland. this is called atrophic thyroiditis.

you should see an endocrinology doctor and get TSH thyroid stimulating hormone levels checked along with T3 and T4 levels and also anti thyroid antibody levels checked to see if your body is making antibodies which could be attacking your thyroid gland and causing half of it to atrophy.

low thyroid hormone levels can cause weight gain and hair loss and fatigue

menopause and loss of estrogen hormone after menoapause can also cause hair loss and fatigue and weight gain as well.

numbness in fingers and toes can come from pinched nerves or poor circulation in your arms and leg

when was the last time you had blood tests to check your thyroid hormone levels?