DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 21 years old bmi 21, I have very sparse hair in the

Hi, I am 21 years old bmi 21, I have very sparse hair in the backs and lower shins of my leg. I think it has slowly came in over a year or two. There is a reasonably amount of short almost pubic like hair in the backs, looks almost broken hairs. For a little more info, I took finasteride for a year when I was 18 for male pattern baldness, I had a blood test a few months ago and testosterone was 12.2 nmol but I was recovering from flu at the time and not sleeping well, and my doc said she doesn't think that would be low enough to start loosing body hair, and in top of that I have enough test and dht to go bald! Lastly I have quite dry skin and used to have patches of eczema on legs. Could you give any guidance in what you think could be the cause, many thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What do your thyroid studies show
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TSH was 1.5
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
I see nothing pathologic here from your story
What did your doctor want to do:
What I would suggest:
Free testosterone measurement.
Adrenal function panel
SHBG
With the TSh this gives a full picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shbg was 23.2 free testosterone was lower range. But again I was recovering from a nasty bout of flu at the time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
I don't see anything pathological
I would repeat all hormonal testing, as above.
You don't have the flu now.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will take your advice, if it turns out 12.2 roughly is my level even when well do you think that is low enough to loose body hair? Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Cant say
All of the hormone panels I mention above need to be done at the same time.
That one spot value is not meaningful.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.