Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My son had acid burns to his eyes 6 months ago , it was treated

Customer Question

my son had acid burns to his eyes 6 months ago , it was treated in hospital and he recovered well, are there any long term complications for example detatched retina or cataracts??
He is reluctant to see a specialist as he says he is fine but I am concerned
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like

I assume the only possible true injury in his case was to his corneas but they have the remarkable ability to heal completely without any scarrin or vision problems

That said, superficial burns to the eyes do not put the patient at any risk for the future development of cataracts or detached retinas.