DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Can you give me an opinion please? Its regarding prednisolone.

Customer Question

Can you give me an opinion please?
Its regarding prednisolone. My wife was diagnosed with sarcoidosis over 22 years ago which left scaring on the lungs and has been taking prednisolone ever since at varying doses. the Sarcoidosis is dormant currently but she is now 4 years into the menopause and experiencing extreme mood changes and has been diagnosed with severe depression. She often has bouts of confusion, has problems sleeping, memory loss, both short term and long term, etc. I understand that many of these symptoms are related to both long term prednisolone use and the menopause. I also understand that HRT treatment is not recommended while taking prednisolone although our GP has recently given her information about HRT treatment.
I feel that although the prednisolone was helping the sarcoidosis before the menopause that it is now contributing to a lower quality of life due to the developing menopause symptoms.
I understand that this query is complicated for you to simply answer, but I would appreciate what ever suggestions you may have.
the medication my wife is currently prescribed are listed below:
Predisolone 5mg per day
Seretide 25-125 micrograms inhaler, 2 puffs morning and night.
Ventoline 100 micrograms inhaler, when needed.
Spiriva 18 microgram inhaler, once a day.
Uniphyllin 200mg 1 twice a day.
Risedronate sodium 35mg, once per week.
Adcal-D3 1500mg, 2 per day.
Citalopram 20mg, 1 per day.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
My suggestion is that she see an endocrinologist.
She needs a whole lot of blood work before any idea of what is going on can be reached.
Including, but not limited to
Adrenal function panel
Sex hormone panel, testosterone and SHBG
Thyroid function panel.
B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin D, calcium.
All routine labs.
Urinalysis.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.