Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I've been seeing a new guy the last couple of weeks- we had

I've been seeing a new guy the last couple of weeks- we had sex without a condom after which I took the morning after pill- I came on my period the day I took it. Since then we have slept together a few times- he has pulled out every time but we have not used any additional protection which I realise is stupid. I'm just wondering whether there's any way of knowing the % chance of being pregnant? I have collected oral contraception from my doctor but obviously this needs to start on the first day of my (hopefully) period, which is due in about 10days. I need advise basically.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The chances of pregnancy are very small in your case i.e. less than 5%.
So I would not worry a great deal.
Morning after pills are hormonal pills which can affect your periods i.e. make your periods come early, like it did in your case, or make the period come late.
The main aim of the morning-after-pill is to prevent ovulation and implantation to take place which it is good at doing.
Since a condom was on at the time and you took the morning-after-pill the chances of you being pregnancy is very low indeed even considering the fact that you did not use the condom after using the pill.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think it's still low risk if we haven't used a condom for the times after the morning after pill? I know the MAP sometimes only delays ovulation- if I came on my period straight away do you think it may be more of a prevention of ovulation?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

It can either delay ovulation or even prevent it. Both mechanisms have been described. The very fact that he wore a condom on the day that you had sex with you the first time is very encouraging because it was only then that he 'came' inside you. On other occasions that you mentioned he never had cum inside you, but outside. This does reduce the chances of pregnancy in itself significantly, even though it is not the ideal thing to do but this combined with the MAP that you took and the 'early period' that you had makes the chances of you being pregnant very low indeed. Kind regards