Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I'm 22 years old and 3 years ago I was diagnosed with an

Hi, I'm 22 years old and 3 years ago I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid. Within 3 years I have had numerous blood tests and I am constantly being told my levels are still too low. I am now on 125mg a day.
However, in the last 6-8 weeks I have been in constant pain with my legs. It feels as though if I walk, they will give way.
I'm 5ft 3 and weight 8.5 stone.
I have been to the doctors and they took blood tests for tiredness and fatigue, these have come back normal. However, I have been complaining about my legs and now my hips and ankles and lower back are in agony.
I told my GP today, as I was sobbing and she didn't seem to care and said my blood count was fine and that it was probably a virus...
I informed her about a lump in the left side of my neck which is obvious if I tilt my head. She felt this and said it was "just a lymph gland".
I seem like a massive hypocondriac but my dad had Lymphoid Cancer and was misdiagnosed 3 times before being referred to a specialist.
My dads sister, mum, dad have all had cancer too.
I know my body, and I know something isn't right but it seems that no one actually wants to help me or listen.
I am in excruciating pain with my lower body, i used to be an avid gym goer but I'm the past 2 months I can hardly walk 5 minutes without stopping.
Please help me
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to learn that you are suffering so much.Do you know what kind of tests have been done for you?Can you please enumerate all the medications that you are on at the moment?Kind regards
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Your doctors say your thyroid is still low. In fact, if your TSH is higher than .8 to 1 [relatively hypothyroid over one] you are not going to feel well, and this can account for your symptoms.

Let me know what your TSH is.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor.

I can give you full and accurate answers.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Please answer the questions that I have posted above.Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had numerous Thyroid blood tests, Complete Blood Count, Glucose Level and they're the ones I only remember. It was 3 blood tests in one sitting which I believe tested for a few things.
From my understanding, sometimes these tests can't be accurate.
I don't know what to do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Do you remember the level of your TSH?Do you know if you have vitamin D levels done?Have you had your calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and phosphate levels done?A low level of thyroid hormones, vitamin D levels or low levels of electrolytes can cause pains like what you are having at the present moment.In my experience a low level of vitamin D is something that is extremely common and can cause the kind of pains that you are having. However, even a low thyroid level can cause weakness in muscles (myopathy) and pain like what you are experiencing.So all these things have to be looked at and the level of your thyroid medication must be adjusted to bring it to the optimal level.The dose of thyroid hormone medications is increased or decreased based on the level of TSH.The normal range of TSH is taken as 0.3 to 3.Ideally we want to bring the TSH down to less than 1 which is the 'optimal' range considered by a lot of experts, but there is still a lot of controversy on this 'optimal range'. Some experts think that even bringing it down to less than 2 is also good enough.So I would still continue to increase the dose of your thyroid hormone pill until your TSH is in the optimal range.Also I would like that you should be tested for vitamin D levels as low levels of this can this can also lead to muscular aches and pains which dramatically improve on starting with vitamin D supplements.Let me know if you have more questions.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.Kind regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine