Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My mum has lost a lot of weight in the last 7 months. She

Hi. My mum has lost a lot of weight in the last 7 months. She eats very little and sometimes does not eat at all. When she eats certain food eg rice or bread she suffers from digestion pain. She is also sleeping a lot which is very unusual. She is refusing to go to the hospital, but I have made an appointment with her GP which I am hoping she will go to but I have a feeling she will not tell the truth of how much pain she is in. If I knew what was causing her pain, maybe I could help.
Thank you. Jackie
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. What is the exact site of pain she gets? What are your questions specifically about her problem? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She gets a pain in between her breast bone and sometimes she vomits after eating as the food wont go down. I forgot to mention she has been a heavy smoker for the last 40 years

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it just one question i am allowed to ask as it is asking me to pay more

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. . I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms there can be one or more than reasons for your mother's illness. This can be acid peptic disease, inflammation of food pipe, stricture in food pipe, barrett's oesophagus or a mass lesion. One or more than one causes are possible. Yes she must be in pain and you have taken the right step of taking her to doctor. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available capsule omeprazole 20 mg twice daily and tab Tylenol thrice daily can help her till you go to your doctor. As she is not eating properly, you can start her with Ensure powder (four table spoons mixed in a glass of water) twice daily. Your GP must get barium swallow test along with blood work up and then he should send her to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy. I am hopeful that till you get all this done, my suggestions will really help her a lot. I have offered you additional services. It is your choice to accept it or not but by doing so, you can continue to ask anything you want even during her treatment. But it's your choice and you can decline the offer as well and can rate this response only as per your level of satisfaction. My best wishes and prayers are for your mother. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. Can I ask, would the heavy smoking have anything to do with the problem she is having? Could it be any lung disease aswell?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. Yes most of the above mentioned diseases have a relation to smoking. Lung disease is least likely with the symptoms you have described. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards