Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have blood and diarrhoea with a small lump at the opening

Customer Question

I have blood and diarrhoea with a small lump at the opening I can push the lump back inside after motion
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Blood stained diarrhea is always something that needs to be evaluated ASAP.
There are a number of causes, some potentially serious, that needs to be considered and ruled out/ruled in:
1. Colitis --> which is something that I would like to rule out first and foremost with your blood-stained diarrhea. By colitis I mean inflammation of the colon which can happen due to a large number of causes i.e. bacterial infections, parasitic infections, or without any cause (also called as inflammaotry bowel disease).
2. Hemorrhoids --> although hemorrhoids can cause blood in stool, diarrhea associated with the blood in stool is something that concerns me.
3. Cancer --> any recent change in bowel habits, particularly with blood in stool is something that needs immediate evaluation.
You will require blood tests, stool tests and also possibly a colonoscopy, which is a camera test to have a look at the inside of your colon and take biopsies to have a look at it under the microscope.
The bot***** *****ne is that you need to see your doctor ASAP.
If your symptoms are severe, I would recommend going to the emergency for this.
The lump that you are experiencing that you can push back inside is most likely a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid (piles) which can very well be the cause or source of the blood in your stool
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions or comments.
It is only when you rate me positive is when I am credited by the website for helping you out.
I would therefore appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.