Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Good afternoon. How much will it cost medical advice? My husband has been unwell

Good afternoon. How much will it cost for some medical advice?
My husband has been unwell for the last 3 years but we not been able to find what is wrong with him. I am hoping you can advise me what tests to ask for next.
It started when he had a funny turn in 2012 which they suspected was minor stroke but the brain MRI said it wasn't.
Since then he has had neck and shoulder pain and stands unsymmertically. His right hand side is weak and his right hand is curled. He gets very tired and achey and irritable. Sometimes his speech is slurred but not always
Do you have any suggestions of what he should get tested for?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'll be glad to help here

Are you saying his right hand is permanently curled?

And has he seen a neurologist about all of this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The resting position of his hand is with the fingers in a C shape. If he tries to straighten them he can get them almost straight for a short while but it is an effort.

He has seen the neurologists registrar at the Royal Free. She was the one to suggest the second MRI and the amitriptyline

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Katie. I assume then he hasn't had nerve conduction studies?

Has he had testing for autoimmune disorders?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the slow reply - I couldn't get a signal.

He has not has either of those. Should we ask for them? Are they offered on the NHS?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Yes they can be gotten through the NHS.

Two thoughts here. Most likely this is a disk problem with a nerve root compression in the neck and the nerve conduction studies would check for that

The other possibility is an autoimmune disorder like polymyalgia rheumatica and the blood tests--the autoimmune screening--would check for that

He should ask his doctor for these tests