Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

A vein on the top of my foot is very swollen and spongy to

Customer Question

A vein on the top of my foot is very swollen and spongy to touch, it runs up the front of my leg, ankle high. It has a little bump half way up and is painful but I can wiggle my toes and walk, can any doctor suggest what this might be, I'm worried
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like.

This sounds like superficial thrombophlebitis, a clot in the vein, and these can sometimes become infected. It's treated with ice, elevation of the leg, and compression stockings along with ibuprofen.

While it isn't dangerous, it can be associated with deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a deep leg vein--and that can be dangerous since it can lead to a pulmonary embolus

You need to have a doctor evaluate this right away and I would get a Doppler venous study of the leg.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Chip
Thank you very much, that information is very helpful, it's put my mind at rest.
***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Caroline--call on me any time