Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I am just over 5 weeks pregnant. I am having dull backache

Customer Question

I am just over 5 weeks pregnant. I am having dull backache on my left side and am worried due to having previous misscarages. I had septum surgery 3 months ago to remove the devide so hopefully this pregnancy will hold. Can you please help me ease my mind i am so worried. Kinedest regards fionnuala
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns.
You do not have any vaginal bleeding.
You also do not have any pelvic cramps.
So another miscarriage unlikely.
This is likely muscle spasm related back pain.
You should still get this checked out by your doctor for further reassurance.
Acetaminophen can be tried along with warm compresses to help with the pain.
Do not worry too much.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have slight period like cramps every now and again also. I am just so worried it may happen again as i did have the backpain although a lot stronger in the other pregnancies

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Since this is not that strong, this is not likely serious.
Mild cramps also can be normal.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have cramps every so often like period cramps. I am just so worried this is going to happen. Can you please put my mind at ease

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Since cramps are not severe and no bleeding involved this is likely not miscarriage.
However, you should consider going to the local hospital for a check up which will confirm what I said here.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do get the feeling of morning sickness but dont be sick. I am so worried it is all going to result in miscarrage. I have not had any bleeding but im just so unsure as i have been through this 3 times. I am so afraid this time around the pain comes and goes but the backache is worrying me

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
I will opt out for now --another expert will help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for the help. I just want to thank you. I have an appointment with early pregnancy on 15th june. I think i may have a kidney infection could this be the reason for the left side backache??

Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Why do you think that you may have a kidney infection? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I really appreciate your help and dont need another doctors opinion can you just answer my last question? Thanks again

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have dull backache on my left hand side which comes and goes. When i go to the loo its a bit of a burning sensation. Not sure its because of pregnancy or not. I am just really worried this time around as i dont want to misscarry again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not bleeding just want some reassurance

If the back pain is higher in your back, it could be a kidney infection. If it's low in the pelvis, it's unlikely to be from a kidney infection.
You'll be able to know whether it may be a miscarriage by an ultrasound done at 6 weeks or later. If there is a heartbeat, miscarriage is very unlikely. If there is no heartbeat at 6 weeks, that's ominous.
With a bit of burning with urination, it would be best to see your doctor to check for urinary infection. If present it should be treated. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Thank you for your payment and rating.