Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I was stung on my philtrum by a bumblebee yesterday and initially

I was stung on my philtrum by a bumblebee yesterday and initially felt that pain transfer through to my top teeth. My upper lip soon swelled up and is now about 2cm thick.
I took 30mg of Loratadine yesterday to no impact. Any ideas as it is really unsightly and I am concerned about work tomorrow?
Audrey
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically the treatment of sting includes antihistamines, steroids, and in emegencies alpha- and beta-receptor agonists, and bronchodilators.

Hence continue with the antihistamine. Most stings in a person who does not have an allergy require no more than first aid at home. Applying cold packs for the first 24 hours is helpful and will minimize additional swelling. A layer or two of cloth between the
cold pack and affected area will avoid the discomfort.

You can also use a spray or a cream that contains antihistamine or mild steroid such as hydrocortisone 1% on the affected area to prevent swelling and decrease the swelling.

If you want faster relief then please consult your doctor who may prescribe a short course of oral corticosteroids such as prednisolone, to be taken for three to five days.

Also if the swelling is tender to touch this means that it may be infected and requires antibiotic.

Take care.