Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My little boy has just been to the toilet pooh and there

My little boy has just been to the toilet for a pooh and there appeared to be blood in it. He was complaining of a pain in his left hand side of his tummy prior to going to the toilet but appears to be fine now.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries. The most common cause of blood in stool of a kid of this age is an acute anal fissure or a tiny cut in the anus that causing a bit of bleeding. This is usually due to stool coming in contact with the anal mucosa and causing injury due to friction. This is usually not something to worry about. Make sure that your kid takes plenty of fluids and fiber so that his stool are soft to prevent this from happening in the future. Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below. Kind regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well the blood appeared to be more in the stool than fresh blood covering the stool. My sons stools are always soft and he didnt have had any difficulty passing his stool this morning.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Then he should be seen to rule out other conditions like polyps or Meckel's diverticulum. Acute anal fissure (which may not actually happen in the anus and may happen a little deeper in the rectum) can still cause blood mixed with stool is still the most likely cause as far as I am concerned. But I do agree that other causes must be ruled out particularly if the bleeding happens again or continues to happen with each stool that he passes. If the bleeding does not happen again in subsequent stools that he passes then I would not worry too much at all. At his age it is very unlikely to be anything serious. Let me know if you have more questions. Rate me when you are done. Kind regards