Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My partner and I are old I 70 he much older .We enjoy

Customer Question

My partner and I are old I 70 he much older .We enjoy lovemaking very much .Twice in recent times I have experienced soreness and later some blood which appears to come from the vagina walls .My natural lubrication seems to be more than adequate . Is my internal skin thinning with age . Is there any treatment .We do not wish to retire gracefully for a while yet . I enjoy my multiple whatsits too much .
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
At your age, with the symptoms that you are describing, you are most likely having what is called as vaginal atrophy. Vaginal atrophy is basically thinning of the vaginal wall or mucous membrane due to less amount of estrogens at this age.
The cornerstone of treatment is estrogen therapy which is usually given in the form of topical estrogen preparations to apply inside the vagina.
Before going to estrogen therapy using the following over-the-counter products may help you with your symptoms:
--> vaginal moisturizer: There are several brands of moisturizers available such as Replens, Vagisil Feminine Moisturizer etc. These function to restore some moisture to your vaginal area. You may have to apply the moisturizer every two to three days. The effects of a moisturizer generally last a little longer than those of a lubricant.
--> Water-based lubricant (glycerin-free versions of Astroglide, K-Y Intrigue, others) to reduce discomfort during intercourse. Choose products that don't contain glycerin because women who are sensitive to this chemical may experience burning and irritation.
Various estrogen preparations that can be used in your case, which are not over-the-counter and will require a prescription, include:
--> Vaginal estrogen cream: This particular cream as applied at night before going to bed with an applicator.
--> Vaginal estrogen ring are inserted by your doctor, which is basically a soft ring that releases consistent amounts of estrogen and needs to be replaced every three months, which is why it is very convenient to use i.e. you do not have to worry about applying the topical creams daily.
-->Vaginal estrogen tablet can also be used.
--> Oral hormone replacement therapy is sometimes started if the above measures are not successful.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Just a correction. By you, I mean your partner. Sorry for the error.
This session is open for any number of further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way I am credited here.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.